Children join the School in their Reception Year ie in the September after their fourth birthday. We take a maximum of 15 children into our Reception class, with some coming from our local villages and others joining us from as far afield as Aylesbury and Buckingham.
Currently we take children from Reception to the end of Year 2, when they leave to join other combined schools or junior schools in the local area. However, this year we are consulting to extend our age range up to Year 6 and therefore become a full primary school. We will find out in June whether our current Year 2 children will be able to stay and become our first Year 3s in September. Our expansion will be organic, growing in line with our oldest children until they are ready to leave us to start their secondary education.
As we only have a maximum of 15 children per year group, we combine two year groups into a single class. This means that in 2016/17 we have a combined Year 1 and 2 class. As we expand, Years 3 and 4 will combine into a single class, as will Years 5 and 6. We believe that mixed age classes provide a fantastic opportunity for learning in all year groups and can be used to:
- Personalise learning more effectively due to the focus on skills progression throughout.
- Facilitate reciprocal teaching ie pupils teaching each other in different disciplines and therefore embedding their own knowledge still further;
- Provide both support and challenge for all children.
Here are our plans to grow the school over the coming years:
2016/17 Reception to Year 2 – currently with 24 children
2017/18 Reception to Year 3
2018/19 Reception to Year 4
2019/20 Reception to Year 5
2020/21 Reception to Year 6
Our combination of excellent teaching staff and experienced and effective TAs provides outstanding adult:child ratios in the classroom to support learning and provide memorable school experiences for our children.
By joining East Claydon Church of England School, children benefit from:
- Small class sizes and an environment where everyone knows how to help them achieve their potential;
- High staff ratios so that we can help every child through the right balance of support and challenge;
- A beautiful environment, inside and out, that facilitates learning and provides a great place to learn;
- Stage not age learning in English and Maths, where we look at a child’s learning needs first and foremost and find the right approach for them to learn;
- An immersive curriculum that makes links explicit between different areas of learning so that children can master the application of new skills as well as their initial acquisition;
- Curriculum enrichment opportunities through a combination of trips, expert visitors, community involvement and long-term projects;
- Development of their wider 21st Century skill set through weekly Forest School afternoons; and
- Getting involved with the leadership of the school through two Junior Governor committees that mirror Senior Governor positions.
Monday to Friday 8.45am – 3.00pm (Drop off from 8.30am)
After school clubs available
Click here to download the EAST CLAYDON PROSPECTUS